Saturday, June 21, 2008

Downmarket Vanilla Latte

I am addicted to the vanilla lattes from Starbucks. Unfortunately they are super expensive and the Maternity money only goes so far. So I taught myself to make a similar version at home to save the bucks for more important things - like diapers! And I don't have a steamer or espresso maker. That would cost money! This uses my kettle and microwave.


Make yourself a small cup of strong coffee. Espresso, drip, whatever. I use instant (told you it was downmarket!).



Add vanilla sugar** and a few drops of vanilla extract. If you are feeling very fancy you could make a simple syrup with a vanilla bean and use that but I am lazy and already have this stuff available in my cupboard.

(coffee, vanilla sugar and milk in a jar)



Put 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of milk in a glass jar that has a tight fitting lid. Skim milk actually works best but you can use what you like. Microwave the milk until very hot but not boiling over. Screw on the lid - tightly - because otherwise hot milk will spray all over your kitchen and that's no fun at all. Shake your jar pretty hard until you can see the foam on top. (use an oven mitt - it's HOT!!) This amuses the baby. Even better if you do a booty shaking dance and sing while you are doing it.

(shake, shake, shake!)





(foamy!!)

Use a spoon to hold back the foam while you pour the hot milk into your coffee. Spoon the foam on top and enjoy!

Mmmm.



Feel like a yuppie as you tell the baby she can't have any of Mommy's Latte.

Total cost? I not sure but it's a lot less than at the shop and I don't have to leave the house!

** If you don't have vanilla sugar, what are you waiting for?? Buy some beans on eBay (much cheaper than anywhere else I have found) and stick them in sugar. It's awesome on strawberries, in coffee, in cookies and cakes and in pretty much anything you would put sugar into.

No comments: